If your child is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, the initial months after you find out can be devastating. If you’re in a situation where you don’t know what to do about your baby’s birth injury, the smartest thing to do is to reach out to others who may be able to help.

Charity Organizations

There are plenty of good people who work very hard to help those with cerebral palsy and other conditions. There are also entire organizations that do nothing but this type of work. United Cerebral Palsy is the one that most people are probably familiar with. This organization has a chapter in almost every metro area that you can contact to get more information about what resources are available to you.

Other Parents

Remember that you don’t have to find other parents with children who have cerebral palsy to find people you can relate to. Anyone doing the hard work of raising a child who has a disability can be a great person to talk to. They’ll have some insight into what you’re likely to have to deal with, of course, and you may be able to meet friends for your own child, as well. The isolation that goes with being disabled is actually one of the hardest things about it.

Legal Help

A cerebral palsy lawyer may be able to offer you assistance, as well. They have access to resources including medical experts who can determine whether or not physician negligence was the proximate cause of your child’s Cerebral Palsy. If it was, you may wish to file a lawsuit which could help you recover compensation to help pay for medical treatments.

The Internet

Check the Internet for forums and other websites that have to do with cerebral palsy. There are a ton of them out there, and they’re great places to meet other parents and to see how they cope with the challenges of this condition. You may even find that you make a lot of new friends along the way!

Leave Your Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.